eBook usage and download
All of the eBooks on Lewis Masonic Digital are copy-protected using Adobe digital rights management (DRM), meaning you can’t just download and open them on your computer. Before you can access them, you will need to download and install the recommended eBook reader software. Once this is done you will be able to purchase or download your eBook from this site and read it on up to three different devices, for instance your smartphone, your laptop and your PC at home, by signing into your Adobe account.
Which format (i.e. PDF or ePUB) is better for me?
As shown on the product page in the description to the right of the tick box, some eBooks are only available in a single format, but others are available in both PDF and ePUB formats. Before deciding on which eBook format is right for you (ie PDF or ePUB) you should be aware of the following:
- The PDF format will work fine on a desktop/laptop (PC or Mac) but not so well on a tablet and smartphone because the image will not automatically resize to fit the screen. This means (particularly on a smartphone) that you will have to scroll left and right to be able to see/read all the text – not ideal.
- Choosing the ePUB format will mean you get a reading experience optimised for the device you are using i.e. desktop/laptop, tablet and/or smartphone. That means no annoying left and right scrolling, text can be resized to suit your preference and the reading experience is also re-flowable.
- PLEASE NOTE: ADOBE DIGITAL EDITIONS is not the same as ADOBE READER. You need the former if you want to view either the PDF or the EPUB version of your eBook from this site because our eBooks are encrypted. In other words they have digital rights management protection applied to them. This encryption prevents the reader from illegally sharing or reselling the eBook with another person but it also means the PDFs cannot be read (like un-encrypted PDFs) using Adobe Reader.
What about reading on a Kindle?
The DRM system used by this site is not supported on Kindles, so you will not be able to read any eBook purchased from this site on a Kindle.
How to read your eBook
1. Download the reader software
Please note: you can only read our eBooks on Windows or Mac desktop/laptop computers, iOS and Android smartphones and tablets
Please download Adobe Digital Editions.
For guidance on installing and authorising Adobe Digital Editions, and how to download and read your eBooks, see our Help Videos section.
2. Create an Adobe ID and authorise your reader software
After downloading and installing Adobe Digital Editions, you then need to create an Adobe account ID here making sure you specify the the same email address you used to purchase your eBook.
Once you have done this, sign in to Adobe Digital Editions on your device using your Adobe ID to authorise your reader. If asked to select a ‘Ebook vendor’ on the authorisation page, please select ‘Adobe ID’ from the dropdown list.
3. Download your eBooks
Log in to www.lewismasonicdigital.com, and in your My Account area click ‘View’ for the order with your eBook to view the order detail. Then click on the Download link below the eBook title to download the license for the eBook. The license consists of a URLLINK.acsm file that you should open in Adobe Digital Editions. Your license will then be verified, and your eBook will be downloaded.
After using the steps above to download your eBook to a laptop or desktop, you can also transfer the eBook file to another device using the normal file transfer process for that device. The reader software on your other device must be authorised with the same Adobe ID used to purchase the eBook.
If you need more help, take a look at our FAQs page.